Due to the scheduled maintenance of the Noctua cluster from 16.03.2020 until 31.03.2020 (see also https://wikis.uni-paderborn.de/pc2doc/Hauptseite) we have to postpone this course. The next Performance Engineering course will be held in the summer semester. Dates will follow here soon.
Date: March 17 and 18, 2020
Time: 9:00 - approx. 18:00 (lunch break from approx. 12-13:30)
Location: user center of PC² in Building O room O2.267 (Pohlweg 51, 33098 Paderborn)
Registration: web form
Topics covered on this course include (preliminary list):
- mostly related to performance engineering at the node-level, i.e., excluding MPI
- topology, affinity, pinning
- hardware performance counter, patterns
- roofline model
- case studies
- This will include an hands-on on the cluster systems of PC².
- The couse assumes:
- basic knowledge of the Linux shell. We provide a short online selftest. In case you have no experience with Linux, we recommend that you attend our next Linux Introduction Course
- basic knowledge of workload managers (esp. Slurm) and jobscripts. We provide a short online selftest. In case you have no experience with workload manager on clusters, we recommend that you attend our next HPC Introduction Course.
- knowledge of HPC system architecture, profiling and scaling analysis. Additionally, a little bit of programming knowledge (Fortran or C++) is required. We provide a short online selftest. In case you have no experience with the architechture of modern HPC compute nodes, we recommend that you attend our next course on Advanced Topics of HPC.
- The language of the course is planned to be English. If you don't feel comfortable enough with English we can make this course also in German at a later date upon request.
- For the hands-on part of the course the participants should bring their own laptops. No special operating system is required. You can participate with Windows, MacOS or some Linux-distribution. Please make sure that the wireless connection of your laptop works (for example with eduroam). In case you don't have access to eduroam, we provide a an additional wireless network during the course.
To register for the course please use our web form. This course will be free of cost.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at pc2-support(at)uni-paderborn(dot)de.